From APEC HRDWG Wiki
Singapore Mathematics is a an approach to mathematics education. This curriculum has generated considerable interest among Western APEC members because of Singapore's high performance on international assessments and the availability of Singapore's mathematics textbooks in English.
The International Association for Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) conducted a 49-country study of Grade 4 (Primary 4) and Grade 8 (Secondary 2) students in 2002-03 where Singapore emerged first in both Mathematics and Science. Additionally, a comparative study of mathematics in Singapore and the U.S. shows the advantages in Singapore’s high standards, focused curriculum, trained teachers, and rigorous assessments.
Key factors contributing to Singapore’s good performance include:
- Students’ educational aspirations and attitude towards Mathematics and Science;
- The educational resources available in school and at home;
- The school climate and safety.
The Singapore Approach to Teaching Mathematics
In Singapore, students learn to solve math problems visually which allows them to see abstract relationships. This way of problem solving is know as Singapore's model-drawing approach. Other problem solving strategies include:
- Drawing a Picture
- Looking for a Pattern
- Guessing and Checking
- Making a Systematic List
- Logical Reasoning
- Working Backwards
Singapore's Mathematics Standards
The standards of math in Singapore stem from the belief that students should develop and explore the mathematics ideas in depth, and see that mathematics is an integrated whole, not merely an isolated piece of knowledge. Also, mathematics is an excellent vehicle for the development and improvement of intellectual competence in logical reasoning, spatial visualisation, analysis and abstract thought. Below are links to Singapore's standards:
- Primary Grades Standards ---Grades 1 to 6
- Secondary Grades Standards ---Secondary One to Three/Four (Grades 7 to 12)
- Primary Mathematics Curriculum (Part B)
- Application for Other Systems
Singapore's Mathematics Strands
Strands for mathematics in grades K-12 are the traditional, widely used subject categories of mathematics. Strands have appeared in mathematics frameworks for years and are defined as broad catorgies or topics of mathematics. This section reviews Singapore's primary mathematics curriculum per strand for grades 1 to 6.
- ↑ http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2004/pr20041214.htm
- ↑ http://www.air.org/files/Singapore_Report_Bookmark_Version1.pdf
- ↑ http://www.thesingaporemaths.com/stratf.html
- Teaching Tip: Bruce-Monroe at Park View Elementary's Success Story with Singapore Math
- Mathematics Education
- Mathematics Assessments
- Mathematics Instruction
- A Comparative Study