The Institute of Technical Education in Singapore
The Institute of Technical Education (ITE), Singapore, was established as a post-secondary education institution in 1992 under the Ministry of Education. ITE is a principal provider of career and technical education and principal authority in developing national occupational skills certification and standards to enhance Singapore's workforce competitiveness.
About the Institute of Technical Education
Established in 1992, ITE is today and internationally recognized, post-secondary education institution providing school leavers with a unique brand of “Hands-on, Minds-on, Hearts-on” College Education. ITE has nurtured and produced many all-rounded graduates with the education and skills to face the challenges of the global marketplace.
To date, over 280,000 of Singapore’s workforce have benefited from an ITE education. The knowledge, skills and values they acquired at ITE have put many on the path to success in their careers as skilled professionals. Many ITE graduates have gone on to become supervisors, managers and entrepreneurs, locally and abroad. An increasing number of ITE graduates have gone on to further their studies at the diploma and degree levels. In recent years, ITE education has been taken overseas to places like Shanghai, Beijing, and Vietnam.
Case Study on Institute of Technical Education
In 2010, APEC commissioned a case study on the Institute as it relates to Singapore's high achieving educational system. The report details the status of career and technical education in Singapore, and the role of ITE predecessor institutions and how ITE was formed. The case study then focuses on the mission of ITE, and provides an overview on the enrolled students and graduates. Next the unique “Hands-on, Minds-on, Hearts-on” educational model is explained, along with the various programs employed at the several campuses. The paper then turns to the role of online education at the Institute and how students and teachers are benefitted through theeTutor and eStudent Administration initiatives. Finally, the case study describes the results achieved by ITE since its inception, and previews issues facing the Institute and career and technical educaiton in Singapore.
"One ITE System, Three Colleges" Model
In 2005, ITE launched the 'One ITE System, Three Colleges' Model. The model provided the three colleges (ITE College East, ITE College Central, and ITE College West) with greater autonomy and flexibility in running its operations according to their own strategic directions in line with ITE's Mission, Vision and Values. In addition to offering ITE's trademark core courses in Engineering, Business Studies and Info-Communications Technology, the three Colleges was also differentiated by their own niche areas and core competencies.
The areas of specialty for the three colleges are:
- ITE College East: Beauty & Wellness, Chemical & Life Sciences, and Healthcare Services
- ITE College Central: Aerospace Technology, Creative Media, and Wafer Fabrication
- ITE College West: Automotive Technology, Culinary & Hospitality, and Precision Engineering
Video - Singapore: Experiential Learners Change a Nation
<flowplayer width="400" autoplay="false" height="300">APEC1.flv</flowplayer>
This video production was made possible by a grant from the Innovations in American Government Awards Program, a program of the Ash Institute for Democratic Governance and Innovation at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.
Awards and Recognition
- PRIMS Award – Excellence Award for Outstanding Overall Corporate Reputation Enhancement Programme – Singapore (2008)
- People Developer (2008)
- President’s Social Service Award (2007)
- Harvard University – IBM Innovations Award in Transforming Government (2007)
- PRISM Award – Excellence Award for Best Public Service Campaign (Government) (2006 &2000)
- Singapore Quality Award (2005)
- Singapore HEALTH Award [Platinum (2005); Gold (2004, 2003 & 2002)]
- Distinguished Public Service Award for Organisational Excellence (2005)
- Outstanding Innovation & Quality Circles Organisation Award (2005, 2000 & 1996)
- Public Service Award for Organisational Excellence (2003)
- ISO 9001: 2000 Quality Management System (2002)
- People Developer (2000)
- Singapore Quality Class (1999)
- Corporate Volunteer Award (Commendation) (1999)
For more information, please visit the ITE website at http://www.ite.edu.sg.